Call: 01948 860571
Outstanding Provider High School

Information on Mental Health, Internet Safety and Safeguarding during the Coronavirus Crisis

Back to News

Information on Mental Health, Internet Safety and Safeguarding during the Coronavirus Crisis

29th May 2020

Mental Health

We are in unusual times and it is unlikely that you or your child have experienced a similar situation before. Mental health and wellbeing are a priority and it is important to understand how you might be feeling and how to manage your feelings during this time. We have researched and tested the resources listed below and would like to share them with you to support you and your family’s continuing good mental health.

We are now thinking about transitioning out of lockdown and returning to a school environment, whether that is just for a few days this term or for a planned return in September.

Each image below is a hyperlink and you can access the website by clicking them.

Young Minds has some excellent resources for parents and professionals to use to help with the transition out of lockdown.

If your child is feeling anxious, there is some advice on supporting your child to return to school after lockdown, and on what to do if your child is anxious about going back to school, including breathing techniques to help manage that anxiety. There is also advice for parents on managing anxiety around returning to work.

The MyMind site, created by the local NHS Cheshire and Wirral Partnership, is a resource supported by CAMHS. There is an area for children and young people and an area for parents and carers.

Every Mind Matters has excellent advice about looking after your mental health during the coronavirus crisis, including a quiz to build a mind plan to aid with stress and anxiety.

Ways to protect your mental health during social distancing. Advice from Healthbox CIC, who will work with us in school to support mental health.

It’s important that we feel able to cope with isolating together as a family. Healthbox CIC has some tips for parents for looking after themselves during isolation.

The Children’s Society have put together a list of 5 ways to well-being for children that is a useful reminder of 5 key things to do to support mental health and wellbeing.

Kooth is an online mental wellbeing community that is free to join and offers safe and anonymous support.

MindEd is a free educational resource on children’s mental health and is aimed at parents to use to support their child. It’s recommended by CAMHS as a tool for families.

MindShift is a free app from Anxiety Canada designed to help teens and young adults cope with anxiety. It can help change how you think about anxiety and offers strategies to manage including relaxation exercises. It is a free resource and available for both IOS ad Android devices.

If you live in the Wrexham am area, there is some useful information on managing your mental health from Young Wrexham.

If you live in Shropshire, BeeU is the local CAMHS service for emotional health and wellbeing for people up to the age of 25.

If you, your child or a member of your household is experiencing a mental health crisis, ask for help:

Samaritans:       116 123

ChildLine:           0800 1111

If you live in Cheshire West or Cheshire East there is a dedicated phone line:

Cheshire and Wirral Partnership Crisis line:  0300 303 3972

If you live in Shropshire the dedicated phone line is: 0300 124 0365

 Other Resources: 









From 25th June 2020 there is updated guidance from the government to parents and carers around keeping children safe from abuse and harm. This covers domestic abuse, teenage relationship abuse, child sexual abuse and exploitation, County Lines, online child safety, radicalisation and mental health.

If you have concerns about a child’s welfare contact the following numbers

If the child you are concerned about lives in Cheshire:

Contact the Integrated Access and Referral Team (iART) or the Emergency Duty Team (EDT) for help and advice i-ART: 0300 123 7047

The team can be contacted 8.30a.m. to 5.00p.m. from Monday to Thursday and 8.30a.m. – 4.30p.m. on Friday.

To report a concern out of office hours call the Emergency Duty Team:  01244 977277.

If the child you are concerned about lives in Shropshire:

Contact the First Point of Contact FPOC: 0345 678 9021.
To report a concern out of office hours call the Emergency Duty Team:  0345 6789040.

You can also speak to Protecting Vulnerable People (West Mercia Police): 0300 333 3000

If the child you are concerned about lives in Wrexham:

Contact Children’s Social Care – Single Point of Access SPOA: 01978 292039.

To report a concern out of office hours call the Emergency Duty Team: 0345 053 3116.

Alternatively you can report your concerns online to the NSPCC via the ‘Report child abuse online – NSPCC website‘.

You can also speak to the NSPCC: 0800 800 5000

If you think a child or adult is in immediate danger, call the emergency services on 999 immediately.

Internet Safety

During school closure, children are likely to be using the internet a lot more than usual. We know that it is necessary for school work and it’s also important to keep in touch with friends for social and mental wellbeing. As a parent, it’s important that you know what your child is doing online, and the resources listed below are useful for understanding what social media, apps and games your child is accessing.

NSPCC have reviewed the most popular social networks, apps and games used by children. Their guide will tell you all you need to know about each, and how to make your child’s internet use safer.


ThinkUKnow is an education programme run by NCA-CEOP for children, teens and adults and is designed to protect young people from harm both online and offline.

It has a report button for you or your child to report any instances of online abuse.

Remember, the school community is still here for you even though school is closed. If you would like to speak to a member of school staff about your child’s mental health and wellbeing, please email their Form Tutor in the first instance and they will forward to the member of staff or school department that is best able to help you.